Many homeowners can experience water damage or other issues within their crawl space. If this is a concern of yours then you may be considering waterproofing your crawl space. Waterproofing your crawl space can be a really great investment if you are dealing with water issues or if you just want to prevent water damages from occurring. There are many different reasons why you’d want to waterproof your crawl space and it comes with many benefits to it as well. Let’s learn about why having a waterproof foundation is of utmost importance.
How Do You Know If You Need Crawl Space Waterproofing?
There are a few signs to look out for if you think you might need crawl space waterproofing. Having water problems in your crawl space can actually affect the way the inside of your home feels as well. If you are a homeowner then you should pay attention to these signs and check out your crawl space if you suspect that it needs waterproofing. Here are some signs that you may need crawl space repair or waterproofing.
- Moisture in crawl space- If you have an open crawl space then there is a huge possibility for water to get in there and just sit. Especially in climates that experience a lot of rain and storms.
- High indoor humidity- If there is standing water in your crawl space then this will make the inside of your home feel humid. This can cause many issues such as mold and mildew within the home.
- Condensation- This goes in line with the humidity because if there is humidity then you will probably notice condensation as well. This condensation will be present in the crawl space as well as in your home where you experience the humidity.
- High energy bills- This doesn’t always mean that you have water in your crawl space but high energy bills can be the cause of a lack of insulation.
- Mold, mildew, and must- These are very common among crawl spaces that have water damage or sitting water. The problem with this is sometimes molded and mildew that are in crawl spaces go unnoticed because they are mostly out of sight. This gives it a chance to spread to other areas.
Is It Worth It To Seal Crawl Space?
There are a ton of benefits to sealing and waterproofing your crawl space. Overall getting your crawl space waterproofed will eliminate water from being able to come into it. This will eliminate mold, mildew, sitting water, high energy bills, and humidity in the house. Waterproofing your crawl space can also help to keep your foundation stable because it prevents water from entering there and causing foundation problems for the whole house.
Another reason that it is worth it to seal off and complete a crawl space repair is if you are planning on selling your home. This will give buyers peace of mind when it comes to the crawl space. It is another extra layer of security. Sealing off a crawl space will overall raise your property value as well. Here are a few benefits to sealing and waterproofing your crawl space.
- No more humidity in the home and crawl space
- Eliminates sitting water
- Less mold, mildew, and pests
- It will raise home value
- It will help with insulation
- Your home will be more energy efficient which also means a lower bill
- Keeps your home cool and not humid, which makes it more comfortable for your family
How Much Does It Cost To Waterproof A Crawl Space?
As a homeowner, you might be worried about the cost of waterproofing your crawl space. A homeowner can expect to pay on average $4,500 to waterproof their crawlspace. Minor repairs may only cost around $600 and if you need a lot of different repairs it could cost up to $10,000. Crawl space repair companies may charge by the square feet so a homeowner should expect to pay between $5 and $10 per square foot. The full price depends on a lot of factors such as labor, how big the space is, how bad the damages are and what repairs are needed. You can call a crawl space repair company to come out and inspect your crawl space to see how bad the damages are and how much it will be to waterproof your crawl space.
Is It OK To Have Water In Crawl Space?
It is not okay for you to have water in your crawl space. Homeowners might think that it is okay because it’s just in the crawl space, but the crawl space is more important than you’d think. Having sitting water in your crawl space can cause many damages and negative effects for the rest of the home. There are three main problems that can come from having sitting water in your crawl space:
- Mold- Mold is something that every homeowner should be wary about because it can spread and cause lots of problems. Having mold or mildew in your crawl space can compromise your air quality for the entire house. Homeowners get 50% of their air in the house from the crawl space. This means that whatever mold, spores, mildew, and any other bacterias will be spread into the air that you and your family are breathing.
- High energy bills- This is something that some homeowners might not expect when it comes to sitting water in your crawl space. The damp air in your crawl space takes much more energy to heat or cool which makes your energy bill rise.
- Pests- Water attracts animals and bugs. The humidity in a crawl space that has sitting water will also be the perfect environment for some pests and insects. Dust mites are one of the biggest pests that a homeowner might experience when they have water in their crawl space.
Should You Repair or Waterproof Your Crawl Space?
The bottom line is that waterproofing your crawl space can be beneficial for every homeowner whether you have problems with your crawl space currently or not. If you have sitting water, cracks, mold, pests, or any of the other reg flag signs of damage to your crawl space then you should get it waterproofed as soon as possible. If you wait then it can cause a multitude of problems to arise that could have been avoided. Waterproofing your crawl space is also a great idea if you are looking just to prevent any problems from happening or if you are looking to increase your home value.
If you are interested in getting your crawl space repaired or waterproofed then you should call a crawl space repair company to at least get an inspection on your crawl space. They will explain the damages that they’ve seen and give you ideas on what repair methods that you need as well as full waterproofing of your crawl space.