Although a kitchen renovation can boost the aesthetics, functionality, and overall value of your kitchen, it can be quite costly. To cut down the cost, many homeowners often consider DIY kitchen remodeling or renovation. But should you DIY your kitchen renovation? What are the pros and cons of DIY kitchen remodeling/renovation?
Without a doubt, you can renovate your kitchen yourself without any issue. However, you need to be careful, especially if it is your first remodeling or renovation project. You want to make sure that you don’t leave any stone unturned.
· Plan the DIY kitchen renovation
If you intend to renovate your kitchen yourself, it is important to plan it carefully. Foremost, you should take the time to research everything you need to do to renovate your kitchen. Fortunately, the internet has made everything easier nowadays. So, you should spend some hours researching how to execute a kitchen renovation project.
Have a good idea of what you want to do, know the kind of fixtures you need, as well as the processes involved in installing them. Also, you need a contingency plan for dealing with the inconveniences of a kitchen renovation. For instance, you may need to create a temporary mini-kitchen that can be used as you renovate the main kitchen.
· Get a helping hand
While you can renovate your kitchen yourself, you should note that it will be difficult to do everything on your own. You may need to carry some items, hold a fixture as you install it, etc. In such cases, you will need a helping hand to get the job done. Therefore, you shouldn’t hesitate to get a friend or family member to assist you.
Pros and cons of DIY kitchen renovation
As you are still contemplating DIY kitchen renovation, you should note its pros and cons. These are the pros of DIY renovation:
- It saves you lots of money as you don’t have to pay any kitchen contractor to help you to renovate the kitchen.
- It helps you to customize your kitchen according to your taste. You can choose your preferred kitchen design, fixtures, etc. Notably, you can also do this when hiring a professional kitchen contractor.
- It allows you to keep your home safe from strangers. This is especially reasonable if you have kids and/or pets.
The cons of the DIY renovation include the following:
- Your inexperience and lack of skill may make you damage some items in your kitchen. Unfortunately, this will lead to physical injury and/or a high cost of repair or replacement of the damaged items.
- The scope of work could be limited. For instance, it will be difficult for you to demolish walls and floors for renovation.
Additionally, you will need to get a permit to do some renovations. To change the plumbing, mechanical, or electrical components of your kitchen, you may require permits. If you are not a contractor, you will struggle with getting permits.
As shown above, you can renovate your kitchen yourself. However, if you can afford to hire the services of a contractor, you should avoid DIY kitchen renovation because of the risks involved.